If you’re looking for a chocolate chip banana bread recipe that is easy to make and full of flavor, then your search is over!
You only need one bowl for this easy banana bread recipe, two if you count the bowl to melt the butter, and that’s it! This an easy recipe for any new baker to follow, and it’s no fuss for a baking pro.
Do you ever have too many bananas to eat, and before you know it, they’re almost black? Does this sound familiar? When they’re too overripe to eat, we have to make a choice. Waste money by throwing them away, put them in the freezer to deal with later, or make this chocolate chip banana bread recipe.
Ingredients you need for a moist banana bread
This banana bread recipe is easy; you don’t need unique ingredients to make it. All these ingredients are pantry staples or something you can easily find in the grocery store, so you can whip this up any time you want.
Ripe to overripe bananas (see notes): This is important. You want bananas with lots of big spots or completely brown.
Melted butter: Using melted butter adds a delicious and rich taste. See notes for substitions.
Egg: This chocolate chip banana bread recipe only uses 1 egg to bind it all together!
Brown sugar: Using brown sugar adds a caramel-like flavor. It also provides the acid needed to activate the baking soda. Here’s an amazing article that explains how this works.
Cinnamon and Nutmeg: Warming spices add depth of flavor. If you prefer, you can use other spice blends, like apple pie spice or pumpkin pie spice.
Baking Soda: This is what makes the banana bread rise!
Salt: A nice balance for the super sweet bananas and sugar.
Flour: I use all-purpose flour in this recipe.
Chocolate Chips: Semisweet chocolate chips are fantastic in this recipe. If you want more richness, use dark chocolate chips that are around 60% cocoa.
How to make Easy Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
With only 6 steps for making this chocolate chip banana bread, it’s effortless to make and comes together in little time.
Mash very ripe bananas.
Add melted butter, egg, brown sugar, and vanilla
and mix into the mashed bananas.
Mix in the cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and salt.
Add the flour until halfway combined.
Last, add the chocolate chips, scrape into a loaf pan, and bake.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Large mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon
- Loaf pan
- Parchment paper
- 3-4 med-large (320-440g) bananas mashed
- 6 tbsp (80g) butter melted
- 3/4 cup (145g) brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg grated
- 1 1/2 cups (190g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips or chocolate chunks
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips for the top optional
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan and insert a parchment sling for easier removal. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, melt butter in microwave. Set aside to cool slightly. In a large bowl, mash bananas with a fork or potato masher. Add the melted butter and stir until butter is fully incorporated.
- Add the brown, salt, egg and vanilla extract to the banana mixture. Stir until completely mixed in.
- Next, sprinkle the baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg, then stir until there are no pockets of baking soda or cinnamon remaining.
- Add flour and mix until partly incorporated. Fold in 1/2 cup of chocolate chips until all the flour has been incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Scrape the chocolate chip banana bread batter into the prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top, if using. Place on the center rack in the oven and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. If browning too quickly, lightly tent the loaf pan with aluminum foil.
- Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. Using the parchment sling, gently lift the chocolate chip banana bread out of the loaf pan onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Slice, serve and enjoy!